I get a fair number of emails from companies and (mostly) recruiters, looking for designers or (mostly) developers. Almost none of them are jobs that meet my needs or qualifications, but they all say "or pass it on if you know someone."
Well, you are the people I know, so instead of doing nothing with all these, or emailing them to one or two individuals, I am going to start posting them up here. Just tell the recruiters you got referred by your good friend Steven Hoober.
Yes, I'll totally post your jobs if I feel like it. Just send me a message with this form.
15 August 2012
We are a global innovation and technology services company that helps clients to imagine, commercialize, and evolve products and services for the connected world. We employ more than 10,000 consultants, designers, and engineers at 33 locations worldwide.
We need Android Developers! We are build simple applications for a large telecommunications client which enable Android users to pay their bills via an app. There are other apps that we will come to market with in the future, but this mainstream app needs to hit the market NOW!
What you need for this position:
- Android Development skills
- Ability to work on the UI/Design side
- Good Communication skills
What you'll be doing:
- 70% Development, 30% Design
- Using Sandwich for development
- Working on site at a very large Telecom Co.
What's in it for you:
- Get great experience working on a Consumer facing app used buy millions of people
- Work with some very strong Android Developers
Kansas City - UX Developer
Application Delivery Services at the Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank is seeking a UX Developer to support construction of the UI for a mission critical financial application. The position is responsible for defining, designing and developing the front-end interface, quality of user interactions, interface design and overall user experience (UX). Candidate should demonstrate a portfolio of high quality delivery, a deep understanding of application security, an adaptability to respond quickly to change, an insatiable passion for the user experience and outstanding customer service skills. Travel of 50% will be required for the first 4 months. 10% following that period.
- Ensures compliance with OWASP guidance and other industry application security standards to deliver highly secure financial web interfaces.
- Leads the analysis of requirements and resulting user interface design activities.
- Develops prototypes and/or functional/technical specifications to meet business needs.
- Provides and explains detailed specifications to senior staff and team members.
- Consults with IT managers, project teams and clients to understand business and design goals across large and complex products within a business portfolio.
- Collaborates with IT and business partners to define both appropriate project usability methods and long term strategic plans related to the overall user experience (UX) of products and systems.
- Manages and executes all aspects of running a usability study including defining test goals, recruiting participants and developing test plans and scripts.
- Leads and directs others in completion of work and proposes future usability projects in benefit to the client and end user.
- Leads others in the analysis of industry user experience (UX) research, design principles and accessibility guidelines. Participates in activities to understand the user related to specific Bank products. Incorporates information into future projects.
- Associate's degree specializing in computer science, human interaction or equivalent experience required; Bachelor's degree specializing in computer science preferred
- Proven experience designing optimized and usable interfaces for financial applications. Deep understanding of REST and its architectural use in Web 2.0 web applications
- Excellent understanding of web security. Expert level grasp of front end web application security threats and mitigations
- Ability to clearly define deliverables and manage expectations from multiple stakeholders
- Ability to lead a variety of usability research/testing activities including user interviews, cognitive walkthroughs, heuristic evaluations, focus groups, information architecture analysis, etc.
- Experience with Java and Spring preferred
- Knowledge of industry standards/best practices and agile software development principles
- Experience using source control through SVN
- At least five years of relevant work experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to think logically
- Excellent initiative and organization skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong project management and leadership skills
- Travel of 50% will be required for the first 4 months. 10% following that period.
St. Louis - UCD Analyst
11 July 2012
Kforce is currently seeking experienced User-Centered Design Analysts for a 12+ month long contract in St Louis, MO.
- Leading the user-centered design efforts on a project team
- Identification of design improvement opportunities, including the ability to suggest appropriate design changes, as well as demonstrating the changes needed through use of prototyping/web design software applications
- Becoming a knowledge expert on the overall workings/design of the brokerage facing platforms
- Providing on-going knowledge/education to application teams (both business and IT members)
- Clearly document platform specific style's and standards
- Facilitate meetings that require strong negotiation measures while maintaining strong relationships
- Conduct user analysis and research using techniques such as interviews, and surveys.
- Conduct usability testing and translate findings in to design recommendations.
Skills required for role:
- Ability to effectively communicate and negotiate with various levels of both the business and IT organizations to champion the design changes needed.
- Ability to assess, prioritize, and make trade-offs against business, technical, project and user constraints
- Ability to assess complex requirements and translate into design
- Ability to efficiently multi-task several projects and responsibilities listed above
- Strong experience in web design and user interface design principles
Knowledge of current web technologies & web application/development
Ability to effectively communicate design concepts with words, low fidelity concepts (PowerPoint, paint, etc.) and high fidelity tools (such as iRise and HTML)
Kansas City - Designer/Developer
10 July 2012
Our Kansas City based client is currently seeking a Web Designer for a 6 month contract position, with some potential to extend. Candidates should have the following experience:
- Create imagery from scratch using Photoshop or some equivalent tool
- Ability to take creative direction verbally and by being pointed to things that are appealing
- Should keep up with current usability trends
- Must take those concepts and execute rough drafts for approval/modification
- Ability to take the finished creative product and turn that into HTML/CSS/image assets to hand over to developers
- Willingness to learn, try new things, and be challenged
- Ability to do some user-interaction and/or simple animations using jQuery
- Knowledge of reusable plugins and open source projects we can leverage in our designs
- Experience designing for mobile platforms
- Experience with HTML5
Kansas City - UX Designer
2 July 2012
5 month contract (likely to extend) with a large wireless telecom based in the area.
The ideal candidate will have a background in information architecture, information design or human factors/usability. The candidate should have a working knowledge of a User Centered Design process and have experience taking a project from gathering business and customer requirements; creating design objectives; creating sketches, user flow diagrams, and wireframes; creating low-to-medium fidelity designs.
The candidate also needs to be proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically with InDesign, Illustrator, and Bridge experience.
Requirements: Interaction Design, Information Architecture, some Visual Design. Experience in Human Factors, wireframing, storyboarding design, Adobe Creative Suite.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience. Minimum 1-2 years experience
Boston or Charlotte -- UX Designer, Multi-platform
29 June 2012
8-10 years in GUI Design, 2-4 years experience in mobile.
Help define, tailor and own the UX design processes for project initiatives including ideation, user-flow analysis, wire-framing, interaction design, visual design, and branding Develop and drive a concise, well integrated design process that integrates with development processes from waterfall to agile Collaborate with interdisciplinary UX team members/leads to evaluate and extend project proposals and lead to product delivery Evangelize design thinking and design doing across the UX group
Expected Responsibilities: Hands-on experience in the entire UX development cycle from the initial concept to the final tangible product. Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills to articulate UX design concept and rationale to business partners and executives. Participated in project scoping, planning and execution to ensure the timely deliverables in a fast-paced environment Develop resource planning models to forecast UX demand Provide budget analysis to senior management identify key opportunities for improved efficiency Provide coaching and mentorship for colleagues/clients on web best practices. Must have a can do attitude Excellent written and verbal communication skills Strong organizational skills and attention to detail Knowledge of web analytics, familiarity with CMS, proficiency in Sharepoint, Microsoft Office Suite and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, including Acrobat. Produce presentations, storyboards, mock-ups and other visual aids that communicate complex information and support internal presentations that communicate UX design principles and value proposition.
Tasks and Responsibilities: Provide direction and guidance for the UI/UX team and projects keeping them on track within the UX Design Process Work with various I/T development teams defining requirements and developing estimates Develop consistent documentation formats including site outlines, design plans, process flows, sketches, scenarios, personas, wireframes, and/or navigation models for web applications that incorporate project needs, technological capabilities, business rules, and UI best practices Track and manage team projects, develop reporting mechanics to senior management and executive management Communicate UX Design best practices Coordinate UX Design exposure across development teams Participate in projects from the design phase through final testing and QA
Suggested Experience & Qualifications: BA/BS or BFA in Interaction/Graphic Design or a related degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience. Master's degree preferred. Design experience minimum five years of relevant, hands-on professional experience with mobile, web, and desktop applications. A passion for elegant design and simplicity Proven track-record of hands-on user-interface design leadership 10 years of experience in the User Experience arena.
Long Island, NY -- UX Lead
25 June 2012 We are looking for an individual who can provide leadership in the areas of Interaction and Experience Design. You will be working as an integral part of a growing team that is involved in strategic and tactical projects. The Interaction Design team has a huge impact on new innovation programs. It collaborates with other disciplines on new technologies and market opportunities. Since the team is situated in the CTO office the team plays a strategic role within Client Solutions.
- Develop user flows/experience for hardware and software interfaces
- Collaborate with industrial designers and engineers on the design and layout of the hard key interfaces
- Work with software development teams on integrating software solutions on mobile devices
- Research customer needs in developing software solutions for better integration to our mobile products
- Develop innovative and consistent interactions throughout our product line.
- Work closely with research team to validate layouts and integration with software solutions
- The ability to aggregate data from design research, marketing and technical requirements and other sources into clear, actionable insights.
- 6+ years experience working as an interaction designer
- Bachelor’s degree in interaction design or equivalent – master’s degree preferred
- Experience in information architecture, interaction design, and user interface design.
- Experience working on device-based user interfaces.
- Proven experience with interaction techniques such as navigation flows, site architectures, wireframes, content matrices, and prototyping
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Industry experience in developing the UI design elements for production products
- Experience developing UI solutions for Windows Mobile and Windows CE products
- Experience with UI prototyping software – Flash, Expression Blend or equivalents
- Hardware UI experience (touch-screen technology and effective use of soft-keys)
San Francisco -- Senior UX Designer (Multi-Platform)
23 June 2012
Leading fortune 500 client, 12 month Contract to Hire. The Senior User Experience Designer will work within the User Experience team.
This individual will support our Mobile, Web and Desktop software platforms by developing user-centered design deliverables. We are seeking a Senior User Experience Designer working within in the User Experience Team, within the Platform Solutions group, which is responsible for designing our client-facing software platforms. You will be working directly with our internal client partners to develop detailed interaction designs for complex mobile, web and desktop applications. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with all aspects of the user-centered design process, and an expert in developing detailed wireframes and interaction design documentation. Experience designing for touch-based mobile interfaces is required. We have a customer-focused culture conducive to great user-centered design work. The design challenges are complex and satisfying, and your designs will launch and reach a large highly engaged audience.
Activities: Collaborating in user research and usability efforts. Leading design sessions with multi-disciplinary teams. Working with business and technology partners to translate requirements into detailed design solutions. Creating user flows, detailed wireframes, prototypes and other interaction design artifacts. Working closely with the Engineering and QA teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented, ensuring design and experience quality through the development process to launch. Documenting design standards.
Technical/Functional Qualifications: 6 + years of interaction and user interface design experience; 1+ year of interaction design experience for touch-based interfaces; Experienced with all aspects of a user-centered interaction design process, including user research, developing user flows, creating wireframes, conducting usability tests and creating annotated design specifications; Experience working in a collaborative multi-disciplinary team within an iterative, Agile methodology; Strong self-management skills, comfortable with substantial autonomy, working directly with our client partners, and capable of managing their own project schedule; Experience leading design sessions with cross-functional teams.
Kansas City -- iOS Developer
21 June 2012
A sports technology company [whose name I have, but have redacted] is in search of a contract mobile developer to work on an exciting mobile project that will change the way fans interact with their favorite sports teams within event venues.
Duties/Responsibilities: Build exciting new experiences for sports and entertainment on iPhone, iPod and iPad devices; Work closely with product management, designers, and other teams; Rapidly fix bugs and solve problems; Pro-actively look for ways to make your projects better.
Skills/Requirements: BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience; Excellent OO programming skills in Objective-C; Experience building applications in memory and bandwidth constrained systems; Passion for delivering the best user experience to users; Experience tuning performance of client applications; Strong communication and documentation skills
Desired Skills: iOS experience; Have released successful mobile applications to Apple App store; Experience with multiple mobile platforms; Experience working with multi-media projects; Previous startup experience
Pennsylvania -- Web Developer
18 June 2012
Overview: As a Web Developer, you will be a member of a cross functional team responsible for building the presentation layer for world class web applications, including ecommerce web sites for leading retailers and brands such as Toys-R-Us and Ralph Lauren.
Kansas City -- Web/UI Developer (Mobile)
13 June 2012
Seeking an experienced Web UI developer for a long-term contract to join a small, agile group located in Kansas City, Missouri that moves fast and employs the latest in software development best practices. We are looking for a person to help us deliver a compelling web-based experience to our internal end-users on both desktop browsers and mobile devices.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for layout, visual appearance and usability of web projects ensuring brand continuity is maintained. Ability to create winning bid concept web layouts and designs will be the most desired skill set.
Other responsibilities would include interior page layouts, content seeding and formatting, CSS creation, HTML files converted from Photoshop documents, design custom graphics, resolve cross browser compatibility issues.
Will also work with other team members located across geographies and timezones, adhere to HTML coding standards, attention to detail and maintain the highest standard of quality.
Skills Required: HTML5, CSS3, ECMA 6, browser shims, mobile browser, PhoneGap
San Francisco -- "Tech Architect" (UX design, Multi-Platform)
13 June 2012 Organizational Objective/Purpose
The Senior User Experience Designer will work within the User Experience team. This individual will support Schwab's Mobile, Web and Desktop software platforms by developing user-centered design deliverables.
Charles Schwab is seeking a Senior User Experience Designer working within in the User Experience team, within the Platform Solutions group, which is responsible for designing Schwab’s client-facing software platforms. You will be working directly with our internal client partners to develop detailed interaction designs for complex mobile, web and desktop applications. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with all aspects of the user-centered design process, and an expert in developing detailed wireframes and interaction design documentation. Experience designing for touch-based mobile interfaces is required.
Schwab has a customer-focused culture conducive to great user-centered design work. The design challenges are complex and satisfying, and your designs will launch and reach a large highly engaged audience.
Collaborating in user research and usability efforts. Leading design sessions with multi-disciplinary teams. Working with business and technology partners to translate requirements into detailed design solutions. Creating user flows, detailed wireframes, prototypes and other interaction design artifacts. Working closely with the Engineering and QA teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented, ensuring design and experience quality through the development process to launch. Documenting design standards
6 + years of interaction and user interface design experience. 1+ year of interaction design experience for touch-based interfaces. Experienced with all aspects of a user-centered interaction design process, including user research, developing user flows, creating wireframes, conducting usability tests and creating annotated design specifications. Experience working in a collaborative multi-disciplinary team within an iterative, Agile methodology. Strong self-management skills, comfortable with substantial autonomy, working directly with our client partners, and capable of managing their own project schedule. Experience leading design sessions with cross-functional teams
Minneapolis, MN -- IA/UX
1 June 2012
I wanted to reach out to you and see if you or anyone you know might be interested in relocating to Minneapolis, MN for some IA/UX needs. We are looking for the up and coming IA/UX talent. Salary ranges are 60 to 100K. The clients we have open positions with are:
Ameriprise Financiail, IA/UX
Target - UX/Design Lead
Best Buy - Information Architect
Lacek Group – IA/UX
Capella - Sr Interaction Designer (IA/UI Design)
Capella – Sr User Experience Analyst (IA / UX)
I periodically, on no schedule and with no particular method, purge older items.